BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Book Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Title: Before I Wake

Author: Rachel Vincent

Series: Soul Screamers #6

Publisher: Harlequin

How obtained: Bought Ebook

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….

--------------------------------------------
I've been totally meaning to write a review for this book for a while, and now since I'm getting back to my poor neglected blog, I want to start with a review of one of the books from an author that I always enjoy.

Up until this point, I actually would have never believed the turn of events and I don't want to specify completely, in case someone who hasn't read the previous books is reading my particular review. (There will be mild spoilers so please read at your own caution! :])

Kaylee has grown strong but at the same time, I can't help thinking she is a bit weak in the beginning of If I Die. It isn't easy for her to face the things she has done but I think she lacks some of the strength that I felt she had in the earlier books. I love the fact that she finally found the boy...um excuse me, man she's been searching for. They really do complete each other and the more I read about them both, the more I feel like Rachel Vincent made a good choice. Todd is definitely hot and even though I used to love Nash, I think Nash really did mess up. He needs to fix his mistakes and realize that there are wounds that can never be healed. Nash can be angry but that doesn't give him an excuse to do the certain things that he did.

SO ON TO THE NEXT PART!

Kaylee's new job is cool to say the least. She reclaims lost souls using the bean sidhe powers that she had when she was living. At first I didn't get how her powers stayed with her even after death but I realized that her body and soul being intact, it wasn't completely that much different from her being alive, save for the breathing and reaper abilities.

Avari makes me mad (he should just stay on his side of the netherworld) but he's definitely the villain that has been created and set up to be the main antagonist to Kaylee's protagonist. Because Rachel Vincent writes so uniquely about banshees, she can twist the magical properties and abilities and let me tell you, the whole using the souls of the revived is ingenious. 

This book will have you smiling, frowning, feeling sad and most of all eager for the next installment.

When book series get long, they lose some of their luster and even though The Soul Screamers have went on for a while, I feel like we just get to know about the characters more in depth. Of course the main characters are all well established, but that is when we realize, we have more to learn and experience with them. 

OMG THE ENDING!!!!!

When I said making you eager to read, I'm not kidding. We got an angry Kaylee on our hands and she is ready to fight back, I could practically feel the fire to fight within her re-spark and that was really something I was looking forward to. Now with her friends by her side, we got an angry bean sidhe girl that wants payback. So reading the next book With All My Soul is a MUST!

I give If I Die an 8/10. I loved it, like I love all Rachel Vincent books but I think that If I Die really just set up for the next book. It was suspenseful and an awesome read so readers should not miss it! 


Read up a storm guys ;] PEACE 

0 comments: